Saturday, October 3, 2009

Small is BIG!

Who doesn't love Maggi? For most of us, Maggi is the favorite hungry-at-midnight snack, the rainy-evenings snack, too-hungry-to-cook snack, just-wanna-have-something-spicy snack and so on. I am yet to come across a person who says "I hate Maggi". And when I do, I would think twice before continuing the conversation :D. Anyways, the point I am trying to make is, few things around us seem like they are too simple and small to be bestowed with such popularity,yet definitely NOT overrated.

This is how I came to make this pointless list while trying to kill time during the 12-hour bus journey last week. (There was a return journey too. Expect more posts :P)

Andaz Apna Apna: This movie is now a cult classic. You just can't watch the movie enough times. And all your friends will agree. But I am sure no one associated with the movie would have thought the movie would garner such a huge fan following in years to come; more so when the movie was actually a flop when it was released(I know,such blasphemy!).

Horoscopes : Most(I cant get myself to say all) horoscopes are fake. Today's prediction for Leo maybe an exact copy-paste of yesterday's Taurus'. Everyone knows it.But it makes for great fun during coffee breaks or just comparing yours with your best friend's :). And on few hilarious days, you get lines like this : You will find the love of your life today. (And so)Your day will be filled with mental anxiety and tension

Cats: At a broad level, a Cat is just a domestic animal. Comes relatively low in the food cycle. Kids know it only because it helps them remember the letter 'C'. It does nothing, just whiles away most of its life sleeping,looks bored when awake and ignores you completely;let alone try to impress you, like your dog. But you can't deny cats are amazing creatures. The feline charm is indisputable.Its just the lineage you see.

Old DD presentations: Being born and brought up in a media-starved generation does this to you. You see the Ek-Anek Video and go into huge fits of nostalgia and tell all your friends about how wonderful it feels. You download/copy episodes of Byomkesh Bakshi or The Flop Show (remember Jaspal Bhatti?) and watch them religiously even though a 5-yr-old kid will tell you there are too many loopholes or way too many PJs. Nostalgia sure is a wonderful feeling :) (I was careful not to mention Mahabharat,Ramayan or Mile sur mera... here. They were meant to be huge)

Good morning : Things are getting a bit mushy,but I'll plough on. Such a simple phrase and from an age-old culture. Maybe as just a token expression to trigger a conversation or a well meant wish for someone close, the surprising fact is that even after centuries of usage, it does not sound cliched and hasn't got replaced with some modern form of expression. Hello got abridged to Hi,hey etc, wassup came into being but Good morning remains :)

The TV Remote :The TV was a path-breaking invention. Agreed. But the remote? May be when it was first introduced, most people would have frowned "at it as being useless and redundant. But now, the remote is as big, if not bigger than the TV itself. The remote controls you, not the other way round. Entire families go into fights over the remote control . The poor TV just sits in one corner waiting for its deserved attention while the little rectangular thing gets all the attention, thanks our larger-than-life egos. And to think that while the TV has taken vast strides in innovation since its invention, the remote remains the same. Ah, the wonders of modern technology!

Coffee: I am not a coffee person; and I know being a software professional , I'm an exception to the rule. I seriously don't understand why people go ga-ga over coffee. I mean, why the hell would anyone want to have a hot beverage on a hot summer day,that too at 11 AM? Beats me. I can't imagine a scene where the guy who invented coffee, had a first sip of it, and went "EUREKA! This thing is gonna be huge!" But easy to imagine for, say, an ice-cream or a pastry!

I hope this list did make some sense. Now try coming up with more such things and post here ;)

***
Turns out I have not been keeping check of my spending off late. To compensate, I have decided I will be a total kanjoos for some time. The agenda is no treats for myself or friends, absolutely no shopping, no birthday gifts, bargaining wherever possible and more. In short, I am going to be a total ass when it comes to money. Till November end that is. (3 days during Diwali are exempted though ;)) To make it formal, lets have a tag for this.

14 comments:

  1. How dare u?
    How dare u talk ill about coffee..
    I'd hit u if only ur room weren't way over there.
    but nonetheless,
    how dare u?
    :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. finally..a blog post which is actually like a diary entry

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to add a list of comments on the series of posts.
    1. Blog starts with "Maggi".It corroborates the fact that u r a gourmand.(No hard feelings).

    2.Their charm(CATS) is indisputable. :-).
    (Trying to make sense of what u hv tried to convey :-) ).

    3. Nice to hear that right sense has stuck u and u hv decided to save money. Way to go dude. :-

    ReplyDelete
  4. guess u r in those most unlucky fellow's list who don't understand the taste of coffee :( I pity u buddy :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate cats and I am almost addicted to coffee and tea :D Guess you will hear similar lines from many :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adding on to the comment that I had posted before, it would hv made a lot more sense if u had said that feminine charm is indisputable rather than feline, equine or canine
    :-). Surprising to know that u never thought abt this during ur 12 hour journey .....

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Vini,
    Did you read the entire post??? :P

    @Praveen,
    On your footsteps,Siree ;)

    @Vinay aka 'Father',
    1.Yeah. First food then movies... :)).
    2.On Kanjoosi, you are the inspiration. 3.About feminine charms, that would be most unfit in this list. Do you seriously think feminine charm was not meant to be big right from the time Eve entered the frame? ;)

    @Suma,
    Oh thanks a lot for the concern dearie. For me, coffee and tea are still redundant existences :D

    @Rash,
    Surprising to hear you hate cats :). But still you just ignore them,right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Pavan-
    I would hv never associated the word "charm" with an animal.This was my bone of contention. Feminine charm is really big as u say and I would definitely agree with u. (God made Adam and Eve and not Adam and Steve :-) ]

    ReplyDelete
  9. Triple A is awesome...Wrong timin with the release i guess!:p
    wats ur rashee is fun esp for pullin someone elses legs! ;)..but al crap otherwise!:p
    cats...yup...when they'l play their sharp claws on u..ul get a better notion of feminine charm gone al wrorg!:p
    coffee...woo...y wudnt someone have a drippin ice cream in rain...!:p:p...the same goes for cofee...weather man has nothin to do with it!:p
    the conjoos part...is it a hint ul not b treatin us for ur newly acquired possessions!:p:p..aw...guess ul just b splurgin on al the traffic policemen in blore these 2 months! ;):D

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Ash,
    Going off tangent as always.Why are you talking about WYR here? :D. Cats and females are different. I dont know why everyone is confused :P. I have spoken enough about coffee already.And ya very smart, no treat!. And thanks for the curse :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. here are a few points for u to think abt :

    - my mom and my mil dont like maggi :D you can go meet them :D
    -i owe many friends to coffee ;)
    - i hate cats too ! ditto rashmi :D how can u use the word charm for them !!
    - when is ur bday treat?? :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Div,
    - None of my grannys like/d Maggi too. And now you'll say many of your friends don't like Maggi. Point noted :D :P
    - (Coffee)That,I totally agree madam.Nice :)
    - U hate cats? I DIDN'T know that!We oughtta discuss this :D
    - After your,Ash,John,Vids treat ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey none of us bought a bike so u only have to give a treat :D n abt the granny thing, will surely tell mom :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. i really wanted to have a good coffee after reading this post and comments..

    ReplyDelete